Thursday, December 22, 2011

{Guest Post} The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle


I am delighted that Callye of The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle is stopping by.  I have been a HUGE fan of Callye's amazing creations for quite some time.  Each cookie that Callye decorates is seriously a gorgeous piece of art.  Today, she is sharing an easy step by step tutorial for making holidays cookies inspired by my Christmas Chevron design.  Get ready to swoon!

Hi, I am SweetSugarBelle, and I am almost obsessed with cookie decorating. Christmas is one of my favorite times of year because it's all about cookies. Cookie decorating often has a reputation for being difficult, but with a few tips it's much easier than it seems.
Today I am going to show you how easy it can be to make cookies that perfectly coordinate with your party decor.


These designs didn't just fall out of my brain. They were actually inspired by this photo of Stefanie's gorgeous holiday collection. I picked out a few of my favorite elements of the design. My eyes were immediately drawn to the chevron print, the splash of off-lime green, and the adorable font. To make these into cookies I decided to put my own spin on these elements.


To decorate these cookies you will need:
  • white piping and flood icing
  • red piping and flood icing
  • green flood icing
  • toothpicks
  • Christmas colored non-pareils
If you need an easy and tasty cookie recipe, click HERE.
For royal icing, click HERE.

*note...be prepared to work fast. This technique is easy for beginners, but the icing dries quickly so work one cookie at a time.
Begin by outlining the cookie using a
#2 tip and flooding it with white icing. If you need more help with this, click HERE.

 
As soon as you have filled the cookie, use the red and green flood icing to create alternating red and green lines in the wet white icing. This technique of dropping wet icing onto wet icing is called wet on wet. When the cookie is striped, quickly drag a toothpick up and down through the lines in a wavy fashion.

 
Let the cookie dry for eight to ten hours and that's all you need to make simple chevron cookies
I also made "JOY" cookies based on Stefanie's printables. I began by outlining and filling a cookie as shown above. After the cookie dried overnight, I used a #1.5 tip to pipe the word joy onto the cookie. This is a lot simpler than it seems.
First of all, I chose that particular word because it's the shortest, therefore it has less chances for me to goof.
Begin by piping the middle letter in the center of the cookie. This helps to keep things centered. Being sure to work slowly {this is the key} add the rest of the letters slowly and carefully making sure the tops and bottoms are even.

 
Let the words dry completely {about an hour or so} and then add a sprinkled border by piping an outline, then dipping or sprinkling them with sprinkles.

 
Let dry and you will have an impressive yet easy set of cookies for your Christmas party or gift.


Do not let the thought of decorated cookies or royal icing intimidate you. With a little help and practice, you can make cookies like these!
For more tips, tricks, and recipes, visit my blog The Sweet Adventures of SugarBelle. I'd love to share many more fun cookie decorating ideas!

I hope you''ll make these soon! Happy Holidays!

Thanks so much Callye for sharing your cookie magic with us today!
Be sure to check out Callye's blog where you will find oodles of fabulous cookies, recipes, tutorials and fun extras!!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Pin It button on image hover