Tuesday, April 10, 2012

{Interview} Meet Wild Orchid Baking Company



Recently, I was putting together pictures for a new boards on Pinterest called Somewhere Over the Rainbow and another board for Beautiful Flowers.  That is when I came across the most elegant and exquisite cakes. I instantly fell in love and had to learn more.  I discovered that the creator and designer behind these gorgeous pieces of art is Erin from Wild Orchid Baking Company.  See my first post HERE featuring Erin's tutorial on creating your own cake flowers.


Located in the North Hampton, NH, Wild Orchid Baking Company offers cakes and cupcakes that are breathtaking masterpieces.



I had the honor and privilege to interview Erin last week and I am delighted to share with you some of her beautiful and unique designs. Are you ready to swoon?



{Question}  Please tell us about Wild Orchid Baking Co., from conception of the idea to where you are today.

Wild Orchid Baking Company is a custom cake studio in North Hampton, NH. I started my food career as a fine dining restaurant pastry chef a little over 10 years ago. 5 years ago while trying to figure out what direction I wanted my pastry career to take, I took a sugar flower class with Ron Ben-Israel. I instantly fell in love with sugar flowers and knew this was what I wanted to do! I started making the cakes from my house, mostly for family and friends. Then 3 years ago I opened up shop. Today we're a busy custom cake studio, creating cakes for weddings and any other occasion. At times it's been a bumpy road, but I always feel so lucky to do what I love!


{Question}  Do you have a favorite cake that you created?

From a design perspective, I don't know that I could pick a favorite cake! One near and dear to my heart is actually the biggest cake I've ever made. It was 7 tiers of cake and close to 1,000 sugar flowers. It took weeks of planning, prepping and stressing out. But when it was all said and done, the cake was a success! It was such a special moment for me in my cake career. It helped me realize that if I put my mind to it, nothing is out of reach.  From a flavor perspective my latest favorite is my orange-clove cake. It's so summery and light and absolutely surprises everyone who tastes it!


{Question}  What are your favorite sources for inspiration when creating your beautiful cakes?

When creating cakes I love to look at other designer's work, but I also love non-cake related sources. I love to draw inspiration from fashion, textiles, art, etc. Inspiration can really come from anywhere!


{Question}  What is next for Wild Orchid Baking Co.?  Would love to hear about them!

So many fun things on the horizon for WOBC! This upcoming wedding season has me so excited! Couples are more open than ever to using un-traditonal designs. Color is also very big this year. As a business we'll be launching a new line of Giant Cupcake Cakes for our clients who want a little something special, without doing a full custom cake. A very special project I'm working on is adding Dessert Buffets to our sweet offerings! I've been working on this a while now, because if we're going to do it, we have to do it right! Look for expanded individual dessert selections and even stands and dishes!



Thanks so much Erin for sharing your answers with us today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Pin It button on image hover