Thursday, October 6, 2011

{Interview} Meet Maggie Austin Cake



As you know, I have fallen in love with Pinterest.  It has become an obsession really.  I find the most amazing pictures.  It is my go to place for finding inspiration for color palettes, holidays, desserts, home design and so much more!  Recently, I was putting together my favorite pictures for a board that I created for All Things Ruffled.  That is when I came across the most elegant and exquisite cakes. I instantly fell in love and had to learn more.  I discovered that the creator and designer behind these gorgeous pieces of art is Maggie Austin from Maggie Austin Cake.


Located in the Washington, DC metro area, Maggie Austin Cake offers cakes and cookies that are breathtaking masterpieces.



I had the honor and privilege to interview Maggie and I am delighted to share with you some of her beautiful and unique designs. Are you ready to swoon?



{Question}  Please tell us about Maggie Austin Cake, from conception of the idea to where you are today.

Maggie Austin Cake was launched a little over a year ago with the goal of translating visual art into edible art.  I took some photos and put up the website and within just a few days, it went viral!  I am deeply honored to say that today, we are building out our studio.  It's been quite a rollercoaster of a year and I feel so fortunate to be able to do what I love.


{Question}  Do you have a favorite cake/cookie that you created?

Choosing a favorite creation is impossible since I fall in love with each individual project!  The frills have certainly been well-received and there's a kind of meditative quality to that process.  But I also love to paint.  I think what I most enjoy are the fresh designs that come out of casual experimentation.


{Question}  What are your favorite sources for inspiration when creating your beautiful cakes and cookies?

I visit museums constantly and have a pretty extensive collection of Edwardian botanical prints.  Fashion designers like Alexander McQueen and Carolina Herrera never cease to amaze.  I'm also the one lingering over the flowers at the farmer's market, picking one stem at a time.  I can't help myself!


{Question}  What is next for Maggie Cake Austin?  Any sneak peeks of new designs to come?  

The "new" for Maggie Austin Cake is our studio!  We found a home that is a perfect match for the company and it's so exciting to see it come together.  As for new cake and cookie designs, I'm always experimenting but I never reveal anything until I'm completely done!  Look for watercolor-inspired textile work...


Thanks so much Maggie for sharing your answers with us today!

2 comments:

  1. you inspired me...i am a stay home mum too, and wanted to do something, just start baking recently and i wish to follow ur steps! x lucy X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have said this before but I just want to say this again.. You have the most beautiful cakes I have ever seen! Seriously! You inspire me sooo much and someday, I will be able to do lovely cakes like yours..well at least half as good as yours =)

    Love,
    Valeri of queenofheartscupcakes.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Pin It button on image hover