Wednesday, February 18, 2015

How To Make Rainbow Cupcakes



This past weekend, we celebrated our girls long awaited Roller Skating Birthday party.  Decor included lots of bright neon colors from their invitations to the glow-stick necklaces their friends were greeted with when they arrived at the Roller Skating Rink. When I asked the girls what kind of cake they wanted, they both shouted that they would like rainbow cupcakes.  My first thought was to make cupcakes and have each one decorated with a different color icing to match the colors of the party.  But, I decided to go one step further.  I thought to myself how fun it would be to make the actual cupcakes in different colors.  What I ended up doing was so incredibly easy and it didn't take much more time than creating regular cupcakes.  Would you believe me if I told you that I made the cupcakes using store bought cake mix?  Everyone at the party thought they were professionally made.  Scroll down to see how I made the colorful cupcakes.


We were expecting around 35 kiddos at the party so I went ahead and mixed up two boxes of store bought cake mix.  I chose Betty Crocker SuperMoist White Cake Mix.  I separated the cake batter into four equal parts into four bowls.  To color the batter, we used McCormicks Assorted Neon! Food Colors that came in purple, green, pink and blue.  We then added a couple of drops of food color to each bowl until the desired color shade was created.  We then added the batter to the cupcake liners in the baking pans.  We added a little green batter, followed by a little purple, followed by a little pink and topped the batter with a little blue.  Then, they were ready to bake. 


For the icing, I chose to do a simple white topped with colorful sprinkles.  I always use Glorious Treats' American Buttercream Frosting recipe because it is easy to make and simply delicious. By using a white icing, it allowed the colors of the cupcakes and sprinkles to pop.  How AMAZING did the cupcakes turn out?




Enjoy!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Pin It button on image hover